This year has been an adventure, to say the least.
As I try to pack my life into a few bags (again) and prepare to leave tomorrow for a month of travels, I’ve had a chance to reflect on this year. I learnt so much and did things I never thought I’d do, and I have the Namibia National Olympic Committee to thank for this amazing opportunity. I only hope they benefitted from having me in the office this year as well. I will definitely miss many aspects of my life here but I’m happy that I now have a new “home” to come back to!
It’s impossible for me to (concisely) describe what all I have experienced this year, so I will leave you with a (non-comprehensive) list of a few of the more interesting/ridiculous moments I had here in Namibia.
Top 6 “What the @!&# is happening” Moments
- Phone stolen…twice!
- Car broken into + things stolen + somehow insurance didn’t cover anything
- Bitten by a caracal (lynx)
- Bats, birds, lizards living in my ceiling
- Macbook completely crashed while working at the African Youth Games and there is no Apple store in Africa
- Had serious breathing issues and the doctor couldn’t determine the cause
Fortunately, for every “WHAT THE@!&#” moment, there were double the amount of “WOW” moments 🙂
Top 12 “Wow” Moments
- Bought my first car
- Learnt to cook
- Accepted to AISTS MSA (IOC Sport Management Masters Program)
- Had my picture in local newspapers
- Coached the Girls Youth Olympic Football Team
- Gave stretching training to the Women’s National Football Team
- Bungee jumped at Victoria Falls (3rd highest)
- Completed the Open Water Scuba Diver Certificate in Seychelles
- Played with cheetahs
- Wrote speeches for the Minister & Prime Minister
- Went to an Ovambo wedding where the President of Namibia was also a guest
- Friends and family visited from Canada – shoutout to my mum who came quad biking on the sand dunes with me!